Thursday, October 25, 2018

Week 10 Story Lab: TV Tropes

This was such a fun break from the weekly stories!
Pages I visited included trope talk on Batman, Scooby-Doo, Camp Camp (a fun youtube miniseries I watched over the summer with my siblings), and How to Train Your Dragon, which led me to the AwesomeMusic tag.
My favorite thing about this website has to be the gleefully irreverent, tell-it-like-it-is tag labels. A close second, however, is the sheer amount of knowledge on a crazy variety of things- even obscure indie projects have analysis available, and the links on every page facilitate a trail even more enthralling than the hole I often fall into on Wikipedia.
I liked the setup of the website, and exploring a few tabs led to some fun places- the creative community is really strong, and there are a lot of great conversation forums to get in to, as well as recommendations for good stories (which I always appreciate). My favorite widgets were the random trope and random media buttons adjacent to the search bar- it gave me a great starting point for exploration and was the source of many fun minute-long browses as I looked around the site.
First random trope: excessive overclocking, in which a piece of technology is overworked and lasts just long enough to serve its purpose before (usually) overheating or exploding.

First random media: The Children of Tuireann (an Irish myth about three brothers being sent on a quest to the edges of the world in retaliation for killing the protagonist’s father).
I can see where this website could be incredibly helpful from a writing standpoint- choosing tropes as a character startpoint could be a fun way to give a new one a go, and finding a trope which reminds you of an existing character could lead you to closely associated tropes you can then incorporate into the character. The tropes not only encompass people, but also places and plot devices. Every common and many uncommon story structures are effectively deconstructed and effortlessly examined on the site, which even has a forum to help you figure out which show you're thinking of. Genius!!!

Image Info: The banner logo for the TV Tropes website.
Source: Link.

1 comment:

  1. Hi Brenna!

    I am in the middle of surfing the blog stream for some commenting extra credit, and your post caught my eye. I also did TV Tropes for my story lab this week. So I was curious about what tropes you looked at. The site is so big that there is no way to look at everything. It is such a cool website.

    ReplyDelete